Program Manager: Eastern Cape Funda Wande Literacy Program
The “Funda Wande: Teaching Reading for Meaning” is a not-for-profit initiative which aims to develop the courses and training materials needed to teach all Foundation Phase teachers in South Africa (Grade R-3) how to teach reading for meaning. The program runs from 2018-2022 and is supported by a consortium of South African funders.
The program seeks to appoint someone for the full-time role of “Funda Wande Program Manager” effective immediately. This person will be supporting the program management of the organisation overall. The role will be based in Cape Town but require travel to the Eastern Cape and other provinces.
The ideal candidate should have a strong commitment to education in South Africa.
The successful applicant will ideally have the following:
- An undergraduate or equivalent degree, in program administration, project management, business development, school management and administration or a related field.
- At least 3-5 years’ work experience working in project management, logistics or program administration.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a high degree of organisation.
- Willingness to get ‘hands on’ when the need arises, but also to step back and think analytically and strategically about solutions.
- Ability to manage teams and individuals (contractors & service providers) to meet objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and competing priorities across multiple sites with a meticulous attention to detail.
This role includes (but is not limited to):
- Logistics: Managing program logistics at the central level office and supporting program logistics in other provinces.
- Budget and Finance: Creating budgets and budget templates as well as overseeing budget allocations, tracking spending and creating simple financial reports.
- HR and Recruitment: Manage administrative staff, oversee implementation of policies as well as tracking team attendance, leave days etc. Help identify operational gaps that may require additional staff and run recruitment processes for new roles from advertising through to hiring.
- Procurement: Manage internal and external systems to support the procurement of services and products that enable the central organisation and programs in other locations to function. External systems include managing service providers to provide quality and timely service delivery and internal systems include the process by which staff request and purchase supplies.
Location: The position is based in Cape Town but will require travel to the Eastern Cape and Gauteng.
Time-frame: The position is for a one-year contract with the possibility of renewal.
Starting date: Immediate
Remuneration: Approximately R280,000-R360,000. Negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
Applications: All interested parties are requested to send an up to date 2-page CV as well as a one-page letter of motivation to Jolene@fundawande.org