Senior Coach: Eastern Cape Funda Wande Literacy Program
The “Funda Wande: Teaching Reading for Meaning” is a not-for-profit initiative which aims to develop the courses and training materials needed to teach all Foundation Phase teachers in South Africa (Grade R-3) how to teach reading for meaning. The program runs from 2018-2022 and is supported by a consortium of South African funders. The pilot implementation will be in 30 primary schools in 3 districts in the Eastern Cape (East London, Makhana and Port Elizabeth).
The program seeks to appoint someone for the full-time role of “Funda Wande Senior Coach East London” effective immediately. This person will be responsible for leading and managing the coaching team in East London, as well as coaching in 5 schools.
The ideal candidate should have a strong commitment to education in South Africa, be a passionate educator and a highly effective manager.
The successful applicant will ideally have the following:
- An excellent Foundation Phase teacher with experience as an HOD, principal coach or manager.
- Must have a minimum PGCE/BEd qualification, with an Honours or Masters preferred.
- At least 8-12 years’ experience working as a foundation phase teacher.
- Must be isiXhosa home language and have taught in isiXhosa for the majority of time.
- Willingness to get ‘hands on’ when the need arises, but also to step back and think analytically and strategically about solutions.
- Ability to manage teams and individuals, provide feedback and guidance to teachers and engage professionally with school management teams.
- Keep track of on-site coaching visits, workshops and meetings.
This role includes (but is not limited to):
- Coaching: Providing onsite coaching to Foundation Phase teaching teams, providing in-class feedback to teachers, providing training workshops to teaching teams and conducting cluster meetings with schools.
- Management: Oversee coaches at other schools in district to ensure consistent quality of delivery across all schools. Be the leader and guiding person for all questions on delivery of the Funda Wande program in the district.
- Stakeholder engagement: Provide updates to school management teams, district and circuit officials as well as coaching teams in other districts on progress, challenges and lessons from intervention.
- Documentation: Keep track of all aspects of the intervention according to the documentation template and ensure that new lessons or information regarding the intervention is carefully recorded.
Location: The position is based in East London, but will require significant travel within the Eastern Cape, as well as occasional travel to Cape Town.
Time-frame: The position is for a two-year contract with the possibility of renewal.
Starting date: January 2019
Remuneration: Approximately R35, 000- R45, 000 per month depending on qualifications and experience.
Applications: All interested parties are requested to send an up to date 2-page CV as well as a one-page letter of motivation to Jolene@fundawande.org